Sunday, September 11, 2011

1/4 of a year old

I am three months into Dad hood, officially tomorrow if you count by date, which is the easiest way to count I guess. There are way too many different ways to state how old the little guy is, 3 months, 12 weeks (which was a few weeks ago), 1/4 year (which I made up). 3 months in, and we have established a fairly good sleep schedule, we have both returned to work, and we are starting to get used to the idea that we have a child. He is getting more human like, smiling and laughing at us, which is awesome. It is actually pretty amazing to see him develop something new every day or two.

I would not say we have a routine yet, we are still getting used to that part, but we have some kind of rhythm going on. I think the hardest part is figuring out how to fit in the time we once had for ourselves. Time to work out, time to socialize, time to take a little nap (I really miss that one a lot).

During the week, I have started the night shift with Miles. Sarah works an evening shift, so it is my job to get home, feed the little guy, get him bathed, which is a story for another time, and get him to bed.

Over all, this process has been going pretty well. Miles has a bedtime of around 6:30-7:00, so the routine starts around 6:00 PM. This sounds really early, and when we had discussed bedtime, the idea of a 6:30 bedtime seemed ridiculous, but we did not really pick it, Miles pretty much told us that he is done with being awake and entertaining everyone at about 6:30 everyday.

Going through the bedtime routine is not all that hard for now. Miles is pretty much down for it, and though he does get a little fussy when I am getting him in his PJs because he would much rather be eating, once the eating starts we are pretty much good to go.

The hard part, is then finding something to do after Miles goes to bed, and I wait for Sarah to return from work. One might state this is my time to workout, socialize and nap, but it does not work out that well. I can't go out, since I am responsible for the life of a small baby, so I have to find a hobby or two to do at the house. I have considered running on the treadmill, but the appeal of doing that is always gone by the time Miles is down and I am ready to get started. Today, I think cooking sounds like a fun idea, since I really enjoy doing that. The only hurdel with cooking is that I only know how to cook pasta and meatballs (the Macedo Family Recipe).

Video games sounds fun, but it is not very productive, and only amuse me for about 30 minutes, and then I get bored. So as I start week two of this new routine (and really, the first full week), I am in search of a new way to pass the hours that Miles is asleep, and Sarah is at work.

No comments: