Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cooking for Children

I will not try and take credit for much of the cooking in our house. Sarah does most of the food planning, and cooking at home. If I cook one meal a week on average, then it has been a good week. This is mostly due to the fact that Sarah gets out of work before I do, and by default has the time to get what we need for dinner. However, when I do cook, the food can be put into four major categories. 1) Tomato Sauce and something else. This includes pasta and meatballs, a lovely dish called orange spigets, tonight's new addition to the rotation, which was ravioli in sauce, or a pizza. 2) Protein, vegetable, starch. The most common version of this is steak tips, orzo and a can of peas. Easy, tastes good, not so bad for you. 3) Microwave night. Common dishes are Evol burritos and a "Mexican Dip" which has replaced an old favorite, nachos. Finally 4) Grilling in the back yard, which can be as frequent as 3 nights a week during the more pleasant months of the year.

What I am starting to realize with the kid on the way, is how this may change a bit. I don't think the four major groups will change much. These are my strengths, and I should not mess with a good thing. In my time spent with the little ones that we currently know, I find kids like (in by kids this ranges in children with new teeth to like 3 year olds): Cheerios, gold fish, little tiny cut up pieces of a mystery meat. Chicken Tenders and French Fries (shout out to Brody). French Fries and Broccoli (shout out to Reese), spaghetti, hamburgers, hot dogs and ice cream.

I think most of that food fits into my four groups, so I am good. I can cook for a kid no problem! I remember my parents challenges in cooking for us kids. I was a picky eater, and would claim to not like things I liked probably two weeks prior. I remember telling my dad that I felt the recipe had been altered by some brand of canned beef stew, and therefore no longer would eat it. I hope our kid is not quite as picky. Sarah can attest to how bad it can still get sometimes. I have to remember to lead by example, and be sure and have my no thank you serving without making any faces or unnecessary sound effects while eating it!

1 comment:

babymamabydesign said...

pick yourself up a copy of Super Baby Food, the small kidco blender and some baby cubes. They got me through the first year with sanity intact. I couldn't stand the idea of buying commercial baby food when making it was so easy (not to mention healthier). ONce you have a few basics established, you can pretty much just puree what you're eating. Now we have a kid that will eat anything: curries, spices, stinky cheeses :)